Dress Shopping: 7 Steps to Finding “The One” for Your Raleigh NC Wedding
1. Get an early start. It is no secret that finding the perfect wedding dress can take some time. When possible, try to allow yourself at least six to nine months to find the right dress. This window ensures that you will have ample time for delivery and any necessary alterations, especially if you plan to order your dress. Another option is to purchase your dress from a local bridal shop like Traditions by Anna. This Raleigh NC bridal boutique has been helping brides find their dream dress for more than 25 years. Their appointment-only service ensures that each bride gets the time and attention they deserve.
2. Have a realistic budget. Finding an amazing dress, only to discover that you can’t afford it can be devastating. While this may not be the most glamorous part of the process, creating a budget is absolutely necessary. Before you begin your hunt for the perfect dress, take some time to sit down and come up with a realistic budget. Things like tax, shipping and any necessary alteration expenses should be factored into your overall dress budget. Many bridal shops require a deposit of about 50% of the total cost of the gown in order to reserve your dress. By setting aside the funds in advance, you’ll be well prepared to say “yes” when the right dress comes along.
3. Learn the lingo. Before you step foot in a wedding shop, take some time to familiarize yourself with bridal gown terminology. In a nutshell, there are six broad categories of bridal gown silhouettes: empire, A-line, sheath, mermaid and fit-and-flare. During your first fitting session, it is a good idea to try on at least one of each type. This will allow you to quickly identify which style is better for your shape. If you’ve tried them all and still are not able to identify which style works best for you, it may be time to consult the bridal experts at Maggi Bridal Boutique or Maggi Bridal Asheville. In addition to being voted “Best of Weddings” by The Knot in 2013, Maggi prides itself on offering a huge assortment of bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses and other bridal accessories. There is sure to be something for every style, taste and budget.
4. Schedule your appointment. The next step of the process is to schedule your appointment. When at all possible, try to schedule it during the week as this often means fewer crowds and better service for you. If you are unable to make it to a bridal shop during the week, try scheduling an appointment at a local bridal salon.
5. Be open minded. When shopping for a wedding gown, try to keep an open mind. You never know when a dress that looks average on a hanger might look amazing on your body. Along the same lines, a stunning dress that you find yourself pining over in a bridal magazine may not always live up to your expectations in person.
6. Move around in the gown. You are going to be wearing your wedding dress for several hours. Once you’ve found a dress you like, make sure you test it out by moving around to gauge the comfort factor. Walk around the store, try sitting down and do a little dance in your dress. While it might feel silly now, this will help you determine if the gown is comfortable enough to wear for several hours. If the dress seems too confining or is particularly prone to wardrobe malfunctions, it may be best to choose another. Remember that your wedding day is supposed to be relaxed and enjoyable, your dress should reflect that.
7. Remember that size is just a number. Many brides get caught up on dress size during the shopping process. Since bridal sizing runs small, it is not unusual for your dress to be a few sizes larger than your everyday clothing. As a general rule, always order the dress based on your current body. Do not order a smaller size in anticipation of planned weight loss. In the event that you do not shed enough pounds prior to your wedding day, you’ll be left without a dress.
Ultimately, your goal is to select a wedding gown that feels right for you. This is your day and you deserve to feel confident and beautiful in your dress of choice.